In a physical environment, storage is connected directly to the server. Storage may be internal to the server chassis or in an external array. The biggest downside to storage in a physical environment is that a specific server expects complete ownership of the physical device, with an entire disk tied to a single server.
Storage virtualization technology provides a fundamentally better way to manage storage resources for your virtual infrastructure, giving your organization the ability to:
- Significantly improve storage resource utilization and flexibility
- Increase application uptime and simplify day to day operations
- Leverage and complement existing storage infrastructure
By combining current storage technologies, we can offer a full selection of storage tiers:
Tier 0 – Solid State Drives
- The fastest storage medium for random read/writes.
- Best option for SQL servers and high-demand processing
Tier 1 – Serial Attached SCSI
- A good balance between high read/writes per secod, MB/second and capacity
- Fast time to data through their low rotational latency and fast seek times
Tier 2 – Serial ATA / Nearline SAS
- Combines the head, media, and rotational speed of enterprise class SATA
- SATA interface but with capabilities exceeding consumer grade SATA
Because these benefits exists throughout the datacenter, clients gain the enterprise-level advantage without the ongoing expense.